Roaches – July

When:
16/07/2020 – 19/07/2020 all-day
2020-07-16T00:00:00+01:00
2020-07-20T00:00:00+01:00

Meet organiser: Hannah

The Roaches are in the ‘White Peak’ area of the Peak District National Park and although less well known as a climbing venue than their cousins in the Dark Peak they offer some excellent routes on Gritstone in great settings.  The climbs are virtually all single pitch trad routes, with a few double pitch routes on good quality rock with plenty of choice at the lower end of the grading scale.  What is there not to like about it?

For those of you thinking of coming on the Roaches trip, we are ON – as a camping meet.
I’ve spoken to Jane at Hazel Barrow farm, and she is ready to open the site again. We will have sole use, and people can camp for as many nights as they need. We also have use of the bunk barn for gear storage and charging phones, and cooking if it rains.
The campsite costs ten quid per person per night (NOT a bargain), and if we book the bunk barn it will be another couple of quid on top of that.
I’ve made a provisional booking for Thursday to Saturday nights. All I need now is to get an idea of who is interested. I’ve told Jane that I will get back to her in a couple of days with an idea of numbers. There’s no deposit to pay, but please only commit if you are fairly certain that you’ll be able to come. Obviously, you don’t have to come for all three nights.
The legendary Winking Man pub will be open, and I will reserve a table there for all three nights.
Car sharing will be at people’s discretion – if you are happy to share/ offer lifts, please post below.

Members attending:

    1. Hannah
    2. Caron
    3. Jon
    4. Sarah
    5. Helen
    6. James
    7. Jamie
    8. Matt
    9. Pete
    10. John
    11. Patrick
    12. Ivan
    13. Naomi
    14. Roland

About Mark

Webmaster.
Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Roaches – July

  1. Hannah says:

    Right. I have news.
    For those of you thinking of coming on the Roaches trip, we are ON.
    The hut is still closed, although it may be open by the time we get there. I think that due to the size of the hut, people would find social distancing impossible, however, so I’ve been doing some alternative planning.
    Hazel Barrow farm are hoping to be open by then, and Jane will book the whole campsite for our exclusive use, providing there are enough of us.
    And it gets better… we can also book out the bunk barn, which means that a few lucky people get a bed, and that we have an indoor space for cooking and socialising if we can’t go to the pub.
    The campsite costs ten quid per person per night (NOT a bargain), and if we book the bunk barn it will be another couple of quid on top of that.
    I’ve made a provisional booking for Thursday to Saturday nights. All I need now is to get an idea of who is interested. I’ve told Jane that I will get back to her in a couple of days with an idea of numbers. There’s no deposit to pay, but please only commit if you are fairly certain that you’ll be able to come. Obviously, you don’t have to come for all three nights.
    Any questions, ask John Horton. Just kidding.

    • Patrick says:

      Well done Hannah! Yes, please count me in for camping, although I will need to work out how I can socially isolate from Clare for two weeks when I get home. I don’t suppose the Winking Man will be open by then so it looks like socially distanced self-catering will be the order of the day.

      Travel arrangements will be interesting!

    • Ivan says:

      Hi Hannah,
      Great work! I’d like to come along for the whole meet now (camping).

  2. Pete says:

    Yep I will be more than happy to camp at Hazel Barrow, why not??!! back to proper climbing trips!! I will more than likely travel up Thursday and stay to Sunday, in my own car as sharing will probably not be advised still (or within the rules?). At least I will not be worried about space!

  3. Patrick says:

    I was planning on a Thursday to Sunday trip as well. If I have to stay in the caravan for two weeks on return it may as well be for the sheep rather than the lamb!

  4. Naomi says:

    Fantastic new Hannah. Yes please count me in! 1x tent for Fri & sat night (just me – Darren’s on toddler duty)

  5. Patrick says:

    Ro and I are thinking of going up on the Wednesday (an Extended Long Weekend!). Hannah: Firstly, what is the situation with the camp site? Would you like me to contact them or would you prefer to do it to see if this is feasible? Secondly, what is the position with the Wunking Mon? Do we need to book in advance do you think?

    • Hannah says:

      I can phone Jane and book you and Ro in for Wednesday night, shouldn’t be a problem. You can confirm to me on our shiny new WhatsApp group that you are definitely going on Wednesday, and I’ll do that straight away.
      In terms of the pub, see my comment below. They aren’t answering their phone at the moment, but their Facebook page says they will be open.

  6. Hannah says:

    Not long until our trip, and I’m thinking about a few logistics. I’m going to set up a WhatsApp group for us, so if if you’d like to be added please send me your mobile number, although I’ve got lots of you already.
    I’ve not got through to the pub yet, but I have read the guidelines for places to reopen, and it looks like we might not be able to eat there unless we sit at separate tables! It depends on how flexible they are, I guess. But I’ve got a few ideas about alternatives – because we have use of the bunkhouse, we may be able to get takeaway food, and then go to the pub for beer afterwards. Or before. Or both. I might also do what we did last year and bring a big pot of chilli that we can share one night.
    When you get onto the WhatsApp group, it would be useful to know which day you are planning to arrive, just so we know who to wait for, and who to book food for.
    This is going to be a very different meet to any we have had before, but whatever happens it will be fun, and we will go climbing at last!
    My mobile number is 07722 517977

Leave a Reply